Skip to main content

Purple Dialect Entered The Woods of Bucks County, PA with a Roland SP-404, Mic & Tapedeck & Emerged with Lo-Fi Hip-Hop/"Vaporwave" Campfire EP (The Witzard Breakdown)


"The man, the myth, the Human Swiss Army Knife, @pdialect is killing it and you better be listening," self-proclaimed father, husband, emcee, producer, and "talker of Hip-Hop sh*t" at Damn That Noise DADVILLAINY (@DrBloodmoney) Tweeted this past Wednesday, August 16th. Zane Rice, better known as Purple Dialect is a Philadelphia-based artist, who very simply put, "makes beats and raps at GHOST VOLCANO" along with in-house graphic designer and partner-in-rhyme Spook Novel. Earlier this year, Rice quietly released his first 100% self-released full-length, Forest Fortress and Darko The Super-featuring EP, Ghost Beach to wide-spread fanfare and critical acclaim. Now, he's unleashed his third effort of 2017, Campfire EP, which was fully "written, produced, and recorded in a single night in a tent next to a fire." Armed with only a Roland SP-404 beat machine, rudimentary mic, and a tapedeck, Purple Dialect set out to do the unthinkable: intentionally "strand" himself overnight from June 2-3, 2017 in an unspecified remote location with minimal supplies and his music-making tools in an effort to emerge from the woods at daybreak with all of his limbs intact and a discernible collection of GHOST VOLCANO-worthy material. Not only was Purple Dialect featured within a recent Bandcamp Daily piece titled The Unlikely Intersection of Vaporwave and Hip-Hop, he recently sat down with The Witzard and supplied an hour-by-hour timeline of the fateful night back in June he hand-crafted Campfire EP in the bear-infested woods of Bucks County, PA.


"The Story: I set out to make an EP in just one night, while camping in the woods. I brought a microphone, a Roland SP-404 portable sampler, a notepad, and a tape deck. The tape deck also had various recordings and samples that I had found in previous digging sessions.

6:00 PM - I have the tent set up. Fire is going and I am sitting in a folding chair, while fending off mosquitoes. Listening to sample material.


7:00 PM - Found the sample for the first track, "Bug Spray." Just jamming and vibing out. I chop drum breaks to make a pattern and then, chop and loop melodic samples, until I get into groove that feels dope. Repeat process throughout the night with different sounds at different tempos. Playing things out by hand is the only way I can make a beat that I actually enjoy.

8:15 PM - I have had five Diet Cokes and a bunch of graham crackers.


9:00 PM - It's getting pretty dark. Fire is burning. I have knocked out three more beats.

9:30 PM - Playing the four beats I have made so far on repeat. Layering [effects] and occasionally, ripping my headphones off because I think I hear someone walking around in the woods. Fire is burned down to ash, but I pour water on it to be sure. It's really dark out.

10:00 PM - Grab my gear and move into my tent. I have a battery-powered lantern and notepad.


11:00 PM - Finish the beat that will become the song "Tent Light;" last beat completed.

11:15 PM - I have been freestyling to myself, as I made the beats, but I start writing everything out. I keep hearing branches breaking in the woods, which is freaking me out a bit.

12:30 AM - I start recording vocals for the three tracks that I want to rap to. I recorded the three beats into the tape deck, so I can monitor them in one ear, while recording vocals straight into the SP-404. This is the work-around I am using because you cannot do a live overdub with the 404.

1:30 AM - All done with writing and recording vocals. I am also 90% sure that these woods are haunted, at this point. I have made my peace with dying in some sort of Blair Witch scenario, but I have had a good run.


2:30 AM - I chilled out and spent some time listening to what I made. Feels pretty dope...

4:30 AM - Wake up to what sounds like someone throwing small rocks at my tent. Stumble out of tent to look around, but I don't see a thing. After not hearing a sound for about 10 minutes, I go back in to try to sleep. I wonder if forest creatures f**k with my beats; I hope they do.

7:30 AM - Wake up with a "dead arm" and I must have fallen asleep with my headphones on. Survived the night without incident and have some songs to show for it. Pack up camp to go search for coffee."

- Purple Dialect (Zane Rice)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[W]reckless, Topless American Youth: Lana del Rey - "Born 2 Die" (Britney Spears Birthday 30)

Lana del Rey [Lizzy Grant] effectively became 2011's "It Girl" with the release of her phenomenal debut single, "Video Games" (Stranger) . Like many struggling singer-songwriters, Grant has been signed, dropped, and significantly changed her public image since bursting onto the scene (2009). With that said, it can be assumed that Lana del Rey has collected just as many "haters" as she has avid supporters. To be perfectly honest, the only other artist I can think of that made this much commotion... garnered so much wide-spread buzz/hate and critical acclaim -- right out of the gates -- with just one track is Britney Spears . And maybe in this post- Mike musical era, that's the true synthesis of Pop Culture: Britney Lynn Spears . After months of repeated teasing and speculation, Lana del Rey 's major label debut, Born 2 Die will [finally] be released this coming Jan. 30-31, 2012. Pitchfork reports that it will feature "Off to The Ra

3 Feet High & Rising: Band of Bearded Brothers Cellar Door Moon Crow Unleash Rollicking Single "Whistler" from Upcoming Blues Rock EP (Bandcamp, self-released)

Whistler by Cellar Door Moon Crow British Rock 2-piece band Cellar Door Moon Crow mysteriously found and Followed The Witzard (@SharpCheddar856) on Twitter a few months ago. Their Facebook About section simply lists a brief, yet fitting, mission statement: "Band ~ Beards ~ Brothers Goodwin brothers Phil & Tommy . Sheffield, UK " and their accompanying Biography section contains a similar refrain: "Band ^ Beards ^ Brothers," as well as their Bandcamp page. There really isn't much else to be known about twin brothers Phil & Tom Goodwin , aside from the fact that they make infectious, down and dirty Rock "N" Roll —all entirely written, recorded, produced, and mixed in-house by Cellar Door Moon Crow (CDMC) themselves. CDMC 's Bandcamp page often tags their musical output as " British Rock , Rock, Blues Rock , two-piece band, Sheffield " and I would best liken their sound to a stylistic mix between The Black Keys , Thir

"Let Me Shine for You:" Lindsay Lohan for Playboy (Winter 2011-12 Leak)

Lindsay Lohan essentially embodies exactly "What NOT to Do In Hollywood :" Fame, fortune, success... sex, drugs & Rock "N" Roll . Within a fairly short period of time, Lohan somehow managed to obtain a plentiful helping of POWER @ a very young age. This gradual rise-downfall was captured on film; Between 1998-2010, she portrayed a wide array of roles across the silver screen in movies including: Mean Girls, Bobby , Herbie Fully Loaded , Georgia Rule, Machete , and Freaky Friday . Between rapid-paced film shoots, Lindsay Lohan also found time to record 2 Pop Rock albums for Casablanca , Speak (2004) and A Litter More Personal-Raw (2005). Needless to say, Lindsay Lohan has gotten roped up in a lot of troubles and woes with the law over the last 3-5 years... a vicious cycle of drugs, arrest, court, rehab, "daddy issues," jail time [Repeat]. That's the pure basics of it - But Google that shit for additional info, if necessary. Towards the end of